Thursday, August 9, 2012

Cleaning Out the Closet


As I read my Proverbs 31 Woman devotion this morning, the following verse was included in the conclusion of today's devotion:

 "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice." Ephesians 4:31

I thought about this verse, about the struggles I have gone through the past year and about the anger that wells up in me time and again.  How nice it would be to "get rid of" my bitterness and anger and slander.  I recognize the directive but where's the application?  Where's the "and here's HOW it's done?"  This statement conjures up the image of me cleaning out my closet of unwanted clothes.  I imagine bitterness to be a too tight, itchy sweater that makes me hot, annoyed, and irritable - one that I would gladly throw away.  But in my life, this bitterness seems to be fitting too tightly and leaves me clawing to get it off of me and out of my life.  I have listened longingly to sermons that share the importance of forgiveness and release of bitterness.  I get the importance of letting go.  I understand unforgiveness is like drinking poison expecting the other person to die (overheard at church). 

When cleaning out a closet I've learned you get three garbage bags and fill them up accordingly:
1.  One bag is for items to keep.
2.  One bag is for items to sell/give away.
3.  One bag is for items to throw away.

What is my list for "getting rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice"?  Do I: 1.  Pray three times a day.  2.  Think only sweet and loving thoughts toward the one who causes the feelings of bitterness and rage.  3.  Don't cross the street at midnight.
How?  How do you go about letting it go?  What if you feel you've gotten rid of your bitterness and rage just to have the same issue brought up again and again?

It is my desire to follow this scripture.  I long for a peace from following God's word.  I simply am looking for the list explaining how to get this done:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.