Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Reading

I have mentioned before I did not cast myself in the role as an avid reader as a child.  I left that title to my older sister who always seemed to have a book in her hand.  My family did not have a TV in the house til I was about two so when it finally arrived, I seemed always glued to it.  However, upon further examination I did get a lot of great exposure to books.  In the church I attended as a child, we had this AMAZING couple that were the children's ministers.  (They were the children's ministers before "Children's Minister" was the cool title. I called them Children's Church workers)  They were phenomenal.  He served I believe in Vietnam and not sure he ever got out of the crew cut hair do.  She led the music and I can still hear her soprano at the piano.  In fact, I still sing some of those same songs to my children at night.  She worked for the publishing company Thomas Nelson and I recall on several occasions her giving me books to read.  Many of them Janette Oke books.  And I loved them.  My father also gave me books on different female missionaries.  I liked reading of their life among the poor. 
If my love for reading was questionable as a child all question now has been removed.  I love to read.  I still like to talk to my sister every now and again to get her input on books.  She is fascinating to listen to.  I think she makes me fall in love with the books before I ever turn the first page.  She has been a great resource to me as to what books to introduce to my kids.  This year I have started two separate, age appropriate baskets for Dos and Tres  in which books are held that they can read to me nightly.  Also, I've shifted from reading picture books to them to chapter books.  Right now we are reading The Boxcar Children, one of my childhood favorites.  And I look forward to some more greats that I have compiled a list to read.  Favorites such as:  The Borrowers, Charlotte's Web,Shiloh, Little House on the Prairie series.  I'm probably most excited about the Little House series and you know what?  I didn't read that until about three years ago.  I can't believe I missed out on that as a child.  I so love seeing what books my kids like to read and I enjoy reading with them.  I do not recall my parents reading to me but I want that memory for my kids.  Don't get me wrong, I've got great parents but I believe the idea of one on one reading did not enter their minds as an important task. 
What books did you grow up on? Who was a big influence on your reading habits? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.