Monday, October 15, 2012

Down on the Farm

Dos and Tres' school has a policy of no preschool age children attending field trips.  I'll be honest, at first I was put off by this. However, today was Tres' field trip to a local farm and Numero Uno was off and able to keep Quattro which meant I could spend one-on-one time with Tres.  It was a fantastic day!  As I think over the whole day, I come to the conclusion that the entire day was wonderful. 
We went to Gullion Farms in Somerville, Alabama.  We had a blast!  I had never heard of this farm before and it is relatively close to our home (about a 30 minute drive).  The owners/operators have done a superb job in the planning and carry out of their venue.  The kids had something to do constantly without overwhelming them.  Unfortunately I've been to pumpkin patches and/or farms where there is too much "down" time between activities or the activities quickly lose their appeal.  Not so at Gullion Farms.  Let's see if I can name all of the things we did today: met (I mean up close and personal not a fly by "petting zoo") goats, pigs, ducks, horses, donkeys, chickens, calves, bunnies; rode in a carriage ride; rode on a hay ride; slid down a HUGE slide; jumped out of a barn loft into a pile of hay; gathered eggs from the chicken coop; fished with a cane pole; had story time with the farmer's wife; got to pet animals in the petting zoo; swung on a tire swing; rode a pony; jumped in a corn kernal box; ran through a corn maze; and picked a pumpkin! Whew, what a time! 
 

My favorite part? Being with my girl.  Oh, how I love that girl.  She is something else: smart, sensitive, playful, funny, helpful, loving.  I love to hear her talk and listen to what's on her mind.  To understand her reasons for picking the particular pumpkin she selected or to hear her laughter while on a swing.  To see the fear and fascination in her eyes as she rode a pony and to feel her soft hand in mine as we walked together.  Oh what a day today was - one of the best I've had in a long time. 
 
So, would I highly recommend Gullion Farms?  Most definitely.  Very friendly people who are extremely knowledgeable about their farm.  I hope to take the rest of my family soon:) 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.