Saturday, July 21, 2012

When the Sun Goes Down...

Technically I've messed up on my 30 days of blogging since it is after midnight; however, due to me not having gone to bed this still counts as day 3:)  Post number four will come later when the sun is actually up.
There are certain tasks that I would like to have completed every day. Reading a book from the Five in a Row book list to the kids, having the kids read to me, violin practice, kids chores completed - not to mention household tasks I would like marked off.  And everyday starts out much the same: morning cleaning routine, concentrated task on one specific area of the house, a nitty gritty task in another area of the house, laundry, etc.  However, it never fails that as the sun fades in the sky so does my willingness and determination to lay the groundwork for a successful tomorrow.  Now I don't mean that figuratively.  I mean that literally.  There are things that I could be doing at night to prepare for the next day or would help to keep the house clean.  Instead the couch calls my name or I'm on my last patient Mommy Moment before I explode and so I just stop and veg out. 
 Grant it tonight all but the clean laundry is good to go.  The house is clean. The dishes are washing in the dishwasher and it actually looks like a presentable house.  Normally, when the sun goes down so do I.  I have had numerous conversations with myself as to what amount of time would make my nightly routine successful.  You know what that number is?  30 minutes.  Thirty minutes would have my tomorrow in order.  Heck, I could do that on commercial breaks if I had to.  Thirty minutes to pick up what is lying around, lay out my clothes, decide what will be for supper tomorrow.  No big deal and yet 95% of the time I do nothing.  Well, I can count the one task of pumping breast milk one last time before bed.  I feel any woman worth her salt would celebrate that accomplishment.  I mean how many men would really hook a machine up to their chest for thirty minutes at a time?  Maybe that question shouldn't be answered:)

2 comments:

  1. The last question would be a nice one to poll a few men on. I can think of several who'd like to give it a try :)

    Maybe if you change up your night time routine and don't turn on the TV (for yourself) until 30 minutes or an hour after the kiddos are all in the bed? That would give you the quiet time to wind down & prepare. May not work well if the hubs is laid up watching TV in the family room - you'd be totally compelled to lay up with him. Something to think about anyway.

    BTW - i totally count the pumping activity as time well spent in prep for the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing that I just blogged about my night routine yet again. Can you tell I'm tired? Definitely need to quit talking about it and do something:) I like the idea of just not turning the TV on for 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.