Tuesday, July 24, 2012

When the Cat's Away...

Structure.  I'm the girl that needs it.  Truth be told, I enjoy it.  I like knowing a schedule and for as long as I can remember I always have.  In fact, I found a journal from when I was in middle school and I had my list written out with the time frame to complete each task to the right just like I do now. 

When I do not have a "To Do" list I am a complete and total bum.  NOTHING gets accomplished.

This week Tres has dance camp and I'm loving it.  I know exactly where we need to be from 3:00 - 6:30 each day and I know what all needs to be completed before and after those times.  Having to be on this type of schedule has me already thinking about our school schedule.  What needs to be accomplished daily.  This year the kids are going to a new school system and school will start 20 minutes earlier than last year's school.  This translates into me needing to get up earlier and out the door earlier. 

Here are the tasks that will need to be accomplished daily:
1.  Kids chores completed.
2.  Lunches and snacks packed.
3.  Leave the house by 7:30 a.m.
4.  Kids homework completed.
5.  Violin practice completed.
6.  Homework finished.
7.  Supper fixed by 6:00 (no later than 7:00).
8.  Clothes ironed and laid out for the following day.
9.  In bed, lights out by 8:30 (for the kids).

So, I'm thinking I may need to have a set time for homework, reading, and violin so the kids know what to expect and there doesn't have to be any time wasted on arguing.  What do you think? 

Right now we have the chore chart on the side of the fridge and I have a family dry erase calendar posted on the laundry room wall so all can see it as they enter the house.  I refer to the calendar as my "work of art".  It's a thing of beauty really.  I also have a personal planner that I can carry with me but since I got an iPhone for Christmas last year I really depend on it a lot to organize my family events. What kind of graphic organizers do you use in your home?  What seems to work best for your family when the school year is in full swing? 

For me, when the cat's (structure) away, the mice (me) will play.  And I'm usually not happy with the results:)

2 comments:

  1. During the school week, we have a rule that there's no TV/Electronics until all homework & practice are completed. I do let them play for at least an hour (may vary if ball practice is that day), but after that they know that they can't watch any TV until they get their work done. It works pretty well. Since they both went to weekly homework packets given on Friday and returned the following Thursday, we say no TV/electronics Mon-Wed, or until homework packets are complete. This is my fave since it encourages them to just get it done and not drag it out each day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've done the no TV at all in the mornings during the school year. And I'm trying to remember but I think no more than an hour of TV in the evenings. I do like to give them a "little space" when they get home due to being in a classroom most of the day. With dance and violin soon to be a weekly practice I will need to see when our "crazy" days will be and probably just rule out TV all together on those days.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.