Monday, July 23, 2012

Kids Routines

For a year now the kids (ages 6 and 5) have been completing chores in order to earn money plus build responsibility.  The logistics of the chore chart have evolved over the last year and surprisingly last month the kids approached me about ADDING more chores (not money).  I was excited.  They had seen their cousins completing more challenging tasks and they wanted the opportunity to do more.  I'm very proud of them.
My kids chores still include basic hygiene because I want that to be habit and right now it needs to be practiced over and over.  My kids chores include:
1. Putting away dishes after meals.
2. Making their beds.
3. Brushing their teeth.
4. Getting dressed.
5. Watering the plants.
6. Feeding and watering the animals.
7. Washing the windows.
8. Picking the garden.

Accounting for chores being finished was problematic.  We started with paper charts then moved to magnetic charts because I would forget to print off the charts.  The magnetic chart was easier because it was always there but the kids were unmotivated to move their magnets to show chores completed.  A friend of mine sent me an email with a how-to of creating a chore chart with red and green cards.  Green meaning "finished" and red meaning "not finished".  We have been using the chart for a couple of days and my kids want to reset the chart at the end of each day.  I'm super pumped about that!




To complete the chart, I used the frame of my magnetic chart and simply looked in my scrapbook bag for fun paper.  I made the pockets from scrapbook paper as well. Like I said, the kids really like it.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool - we continue to be a quandry about keeping up with what chores have been done. Mine forget to mark the items complete and then at the end of the week balk that they accomplished more than what the current chart reflects. At ages 10 & 8 now, we're migrating over to a punch card! Going to only allow a punch for 1 hr of 'work' that's not a typical household chore. When all punches are complete, they can exchange the card for cash. Not sure what the amount will be yet - but hopefully will inspire them to do above and beyond their typical chores (that they don't get paid for) to earn money for something they're saving for. We'll see how it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it works out. Like I said, these two are loving the color cards and reset them back to red at the end of each day. I really don't see why the color cards are so much more effective than the magnets but they are:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.