Thursday, September 6, 2012

What is my passion?

What are you passionate about?  Did the answer come to you easily?  For me, it did not.  I'm on the chapter of "September" in The Happiness Project.  Gretchen Rubin writes, "Pursue a passion".  Yes, that sounds like a great idea.  Now...what's my passion?  What do I do?

You wanna know the truth?  The whole truth and nothing but the truth?  My first response was "watch TV".  Yep, if I have a free moment, I watch TV.  But that's NOT what I'm passionate about.  It really took me awhile to self-assess.  How sad is it that I have to think, "what am I passionate about?"  Well, let's see...I like to organize or maybe I like the thought of having everything organized; I like to plant flowers and work in the garden, or maybe I like the thought of planting flowers and working in the garden.  I quickly shot that one down because I absolutely hate being saturated in sweat for long periods of time.  Did you see a pattern, albeit brief?  I did not DO those things a lot.  Some, but not a lot. 

Then I realized, I do like to blog.  I like to read others blogs; to see how their life works and what tricks of the trade they can share.  I like the simple.  I really do.  I like to see pictures of a family with six kids and read how the mom can cook, clean, and homeschool.  It motivates me to attempt to cook, clean, and homes.. I mean do homework with my kids:)  Plus my bucket list has sported the "write a book" entry for a while now.  I guess writing is the connection. Well today I did it.  No, I didn't write a book but I got started.  And to boot, it's fiction.  I would have NEVER imagined that my first attempt would be at fiction.  I would've thought self-help but part of my problem is I get caught up in "what is the PERFECT self-help topic?" then never do a thing.  So, today I jumped in.  And my faithful companion, fear, was along for the ride shouting "what are you doing?  This is so embarrassing"  from the back seat.  But I kept on and I'll have you know I wrote over 500 words.   I mean it's no Gone with the Wind, thousand page work, but it's a start:)

What are you passionate about?  What scares you when you think of trying to pursue your passion? What motivates you to not worry about others opinion of what you want to pursue?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.