Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Easy, cute Christmas Trees!

My feelings toward this season are not new to society.  In fact, it's rather cliche' to speak of the excitement of the season but it still holds true for me:)  I'm pumped! There is SO much going on around our house and I rather like the hustle and bustle of the holidays. 
I am working on an Advent Calendar for the kids and will also be adding something new this year - a countdown to Christmas for my man!  Again, these will have to be discussed another day:)
As I was saying yesterday, I tried to put forth an effort to decorate various areas of my house.  This is such a step UP from last year, considering I was 9 months pregnant and could not decorate a thing.  Bless my man's heart.  He put up the trees last year and I loved it.  I can not even recall what they looked like but the decorating was taken care of and my heart was happy.
In addition to adding a centerpiece at my dining table, I also tackled the top of our TV armoire.  We do not have a fireplace nor a mantle so the armoire serves as our spot to hang the stockings.  To make the top more festive in addition to the stockings, I found a "how to" guide for paper trees in Disney's Family Fun December/January 2013 issue.  I will be honest.  I subscribed to Family Fun because I found an amazing deal on it - like $4 for two years or something ridiculous like that.  However, I was not really impressed with it because the "crafts" seemed like interning for Martha Stewart instead of family fun.  So imagine my surprise when I came across this craft idea to make Christmas trees out of magazines.  Now I'm gonna show you how I did mine but I still kept my opinion that the crafts are not really ones I'm gonna do with my kids.  Don't get me wrong, some can be done with kids but for my family if we're gonna do crafts, it's gotta be completed in less than 10 minutes or their interest is GONE.  I would not recommend doing this tree craft with kids as it took me a good 45 minutes to make two trees.  The project itself is easy. The amount of time is due to folding all that paper.
1. Start with any magazine you are finished reading.  I used one Family Fun mag and one Parenting mag, I believe.
2. Take the top right corner and fold it toward the spine of the magazine.  It will form a right triangle and still leave about 2-3 inches of your page left at the bottom.
 
3. Take your newly formed triangle and fold it again towards the spine of your magazine.  It will now leave a point hanging below the edge of your magazine.

4.  Tuck the point of your page under the triangle in order to make the edge flush with the rest of the magazine.  Repeat this process for every page.  When your finished with the pages, fold the front and back cover likewise and tape those two covers together.

5.  This is what your final tree should look like after you glue a ball ornament on the top.
Here my trees make their debut at the top of our armoire.  And for those of you who are counting, yes, there should be six stockings but I got these before Quattro was born.  And I'm too cheap to order his before Christmas.  I'm waiting til they go on sale after Christmas (he's young, he'll never know). 
Merry Christmas, y'all!
 
 

2 comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.