Monday, December 17, 2012

Buckling Down

I ran into a friend of mine this past week and she looked gorgeous as always.  She has red hair, you know the kind that you think "did she get it colored that way?" but no she didn't.  It's just naturally that pretty.  Well her hair is beside the point, I just thought I would share that detail:)  I asked her, "How do you do it?  You always look great and seem to have it together?"  She just laughed and said no one has it together.  She said, "you been reading people's blogs haven't you?"  Yes, yes I have!  She told me not to believe all of it cause people only post the good stuff.  I got so tickled but then got to thinking.  Yes, I do read a lot from these mamas that seem to do it all and I myself tend to only want to post the good stuff.

Well, today, in trying to get my house under control before we have guests over and the major parties start happening, I've been looking at organization pins.  I was encouraged when I read how this one woman gets overwhelmed at chaos and shuts down.  That probably sounds crazy to be "encouraged" but I identified with her - I do that.  Something comes up or even some event I know about and I become frazzled and literally want to shut down. I tend to withdraw from my house tasks, watch TV, and lament the oncoming stress. 

In reading this pin:
When You Don't Know Where to Start - I'm an Organizing Junkie
I realized I am equipped to handle what is coming at me I just need to break it down into bite size pieces.  For the woman in the post her most chaotic place was her office.  For me?  The kitchen.  So I set about thinking and planning and doing what I know to do. 
Back in 2005 I was introduced to Flylady and have clung to her principles.  I believe Gretchen Rubin from the Happiness Project would call what I have learned the "Secrets of Adulthood".
One of my secrets of adulthood would be, "You can do anything for 15 minutes."  I find this true time and time again from reading Flylady's advice, to blog posts, to trying it out in my home.  15 minutes is not long and surprisingly it can accomplish a lot. 
Today, I spent 15 minutes on our junk drawer in our kitchen.  Kudos to you if you do not have a junk drawer but we do:) 
My baby's calling and I have more work to do.  It's time to buckle down and get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.