Sunday, November 11, 2012

The House of Halfway

I should really do a better job of cataloging my attempts at DIY projects and the "bumps" I meet along the way.  I would probably have enough material to write a short novel:)
I came across this pin on Pinterest a while back and was immediately pumped.  But like most pins, it sat there for a while until I realized I probably had enough money in my budget to make the curtains.
DIY curtains
 
Well I headed off to Hobby Lobby to find some material I would like to use.  I absolutely love Fall colors.  However, my big problem is I use TOO much brown and burgundy and my house comes off looking dark.  Recently, with the painting of my pantry door and painting of my foyer piece, there are some pops of color.  I wanted my curtains to add some color as well to brighten the room. 
There was some absolutely beautiful Waverly material there but even with the discount my cost would be $154. 
 
Multi-Color Chevron Zig Zag Curtain Panels - set of 2 - Pick your color - Pair 84-88 - FREE SHIPPING
 
While they are BEAUTIFUL, I simply can not afford that!  So... I found a cheaper material that I was just as happy with.  $35 for 6 yards.
Armed with my list of instructions (which by the way, House of Hepworths does a fantastic job detailing this project) I was ready to go.  After multiple trips to Hobby Lobby to make sure this was the fabric I wanted and multiple phone calls to my sister-in-law who is an interior designer, I was ready to go. 
Step #1: Cut fabric 10" longer than needed.  I measured my window length to be 98" so I had added 10" to make it 108" needed for one panel.  I doubled that number and purchased 6 yards of fabric...or, so I thought.
 

I laid out my fabric on a clean floor as instructed, measured out 108" and cut.  As I went to lay out my next 108" of fabric, this is what I discovered:
SICK.  That is the word that describes what I felt upon my discovery.  I looked at my order ticket: "6 yards at $8.99 with 40% discount".  What I measured?  5 yards.  ONE YARD SHORT!
So, what is the life lesson I learned today?  Measure the ENTIRE length of your material to make sure you got what you paid for before you cut.  Since the lady behind the counter informed me to get all my material off the same board in order to ensure the same color throughout, I have to wait until tomorrow when the store is open to go and see if I can order some more material since there will not be enough left at the store.  Ugh.
I knew that pin was too good to be true:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.