Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Good Sticker Day

There are quite a few things that either I do not remember people telling me about adulthood or that I simply did not listen to.  Making my list of "Things to make certain to tell those entering adulthood":
1.  Reading books to my children, praying with them, and singing a song all at bedtime is one of the greatest things I will EVER do.  Watching my children's faces as they talk, feeling their soft hands as I sing to them, simply the fact that they want me to sing to them is a biggie at this point!  Our night time routing is AWESOME!  Anyone reading this who is not yet a parent, I'm telling you  this is great - do it and you will see these few moments before sleep are the best. 
2.  Never underestimate a child's power to make you laugh!  I tell my kids often, "you are the funniest kids I know" and it's the truth.  Dos and Tres are seen here as superheroes and I really hope you can tell Tres' facial expression because it is priceless - she is in the moment! 
3.  Don't feel guilty about your career decision.  I grew up wanting seven kids and a farm.  Although I have neither, I believe at the heart of the matter I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom.  Since all the kids are in school at least two days a week, people have started asking, "so what are you going to do now?"  I'm sorry, am I the only person who thinks there is still PLENTY to do at home for my family?  Not to mention all the stuff that now involves school?  For the record, I LOVE MY JOB!  I am in the rare position of being exactly where I want to be: a wife, mother, and homemaker.  Thank you God that I have this opportunity. 

So, for my title, "Good Sticker Day" - we now measure the extent of Dos' day by whether or not he received a good sticker (sun, flower, smile) or a bad sticker ( a lone red dot).  I try to convey to him that all of his character and personality is not summed up in the appearance of a sticker but I will say it does indicate what we need to praise the Lord for or work on.  My day was a good sticker day:  5 loads of laundry - washed, folded, and put away; one bill cubbie sorted and decluttered; auction e-mails sent; time spent outside with kids; and supper on the table.  Yep, it was a good sticker day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.