Saturday, November 24, 2012

What Don't Kill You Makes You...

Maybe due to my love for a list and the satisfaction of crossing off a task from a list, my personality gravitates toward tasks, seasons, items that can be clearly defined.  I do not care for individuals or stores that begin to decorate or stock items for Christmas as soon as Halloween is over.  I mean, there's still Thanksgiving to observe and celebrate. My Christmas decorations come out at the proper time - the day after Thanksgiving.
That is, until the flu, bronchitis, colds, and pneumonia hit our house.  For the most part, I am healthy.  Right now I'm the only one steering this ship called Home.   However, the past three nights I have grown nauseated and ran a low grade temp then the next day I'm fine and can take care of the family.  It's almost as if God knows at least one of us is going to have to feel okay for a majority of the day.
Needless to say, the Christmas decorations are not up but I have been pinning away on Pinterest like a mad woman.  I also made it out to two stores today to get some decorating items: 1. Vinemont Flower and Herbs and 2.  Dollar Tree.  After watching the following video, I had to buy some more deco mesh.  I love this stuff!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iA8ylJWzzVc

So here's my loot and I'll share my plan:)
1.  Put up kids tree in the Toy Room.  The theme for this tree is Kids Crafts.  Whatever Christmas ornament the kids have made through preschool, church, at home, or school goes on this tree.  A lot of bright colored ornaments will be on this tree.  I found some purple glitter ornaments at Dollar Tree but in the above pic they're hiding behind the ribbon and they look maroon.  Trust me, they're purple.
2.  Put up tree in Dos and Tres' room.  Their room has a large front facing window so I put a tree in their room.  As I can afford more trees I will gladly add them to our room and the other two kid rooms but for now three trees will have to do.  This one is Snowflakes with lime green and red accents.  It's only a 3' tree but I loved to see the lights shining from their window when we pull in at night.  I bought some more ribbon for this tree to add some density to the decorations.
3.  Put up the big tree in the Living Room.  Since our ceiling in this room is 12' tall, we cheat and put the tree on a stand to make it look taller.  Again, one day, when there's money to splurge we will get a BIG tree but for this year, the one we have will do.  The theme for this tree is Snowmen and I'm trying to work in some vintage Christmas colors here but not really sure I can do that without scratching what I've got and starting over altogether. 
4.  New to this year:  decorating the TV armoire, the dining table, and the entry furniture piece with cedar boughs.  I'll keep you posted on how they turn out.
Hopefully we will get decorations out of the attic tomorrow - hopefully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a thirty-three year old stay-at-home mom to four beautiful children. I am daily learning what it means to be a Christian who loves God.